Friday, March 16, 2012

Joy's Selvage Project

My test potholder is on the bottom. My "real" one is on top.
 I (finally) finished my selvage project.  I wanted to make something that I would actually use.  And I wanted it to be simple. Potholders.  I made the first one (it has the polka dot binding) as a test.  I wasn't sure how to sew the selvages together and I wasn't sure what to put between the front and back.  I know there is a product that you can buy to use in potholders, but I didn't want to go buy anything new.  So I used 2 layers of a thick towel.  An old towel.  It is really thick and stiff though. For the second potholder, I only use one layer of the towel.  I'm not sure if it would be safe to pick up a really hot dish with, but it would be great to put a hot dish on.   I also sewed the selvages to the towel for the second potholder.  It was easier to manage that way and it looks neater. In the first potholder I used just a variety of  random selvages with no theme in mind.  The second one, I decided to use only polka dot selvages.  I like it.  I think I like the second one better than the first.  But I'll use both of them.  Unless my daughter steals one. 

Back of potholders - I stayed with the polka dot theme for the one on the right.

Polka dot selvage potholder

Random selvage potholder

No comments:

Post a Comment